Did you know that it’s possible to buy Airtel airtime using Safaricom’s M-PESA service? This is a lifesaver in situations where you don’t use Airtel Money or if you can’t find Airtel credit in the shops.
You can buy airtime using one of two options:
- Using Lipa na M-PESA Pay Bills. Examples include PesaPal’s 220220, iPay’s 510800 and MyAirtime Kenya 215215.
- Using Tingg’s USSD, app or their online portal.
The major difference between these two options is that depending on the merchant, the Pay Bill option may incur transactional charges from M-PESA while using Tingg carries no charges.
For instance, using PesaPal’s pay bill to buy Ksh100 worth of airtime will incur you a transactional charge of Ksh2.
Let’s take a look at both methods.
1. Buy Airtime using M-PESA Pay Bill
- Go to the M-PESA Menu on your phone.
- Select the Lipa na M-PESA option, then choose the Pay Bill option.
- Select Enter business no. then enter 215215, 220220 or 510800 then press OK.
- In the next menu select Account.no then enter your Airtel number and press OK when done e.g. 0733333333
- Next enter the amount of airtime you want to purchase e.g. 50 and press OK when done.
- Enter your M-PESA Pin.
- Confirm the transaction by pressing the OK button
- Confirm the transaction details again in the Hakikisha page. Should the details be wrong, enter any number or letter to cancel the transaction before the 25 seconds lapse.
- Now just wait for the M-PESA transaction SMS on your Safaricom line to confirm the Pay Bill.
- As soon as it arrives, you should also receive an SMS on your Airtel line from CHAPCHAP confirming a successful top-up.
10. To confirm the top-up, dial *133# or *131# to check your balance.
2. Buy Airtime using Tingg USSD
- Dial *369# using the Airtel line you want to top-up.
- In the USSD menu, select the Buy Airtime option.
- Next, select the My Number option.
- Enter the amount of airtime you want to buy.
- Select M-PESA as the option to pay with.
- Enter the M-PESA number you’ll be paying with. This will be saved for later use.
- You will then get a prompt requesting you enter your M-PESA PIN to authorize the payment.
- Enter your pin and press OK.
- Wait a couple of seconds and you should get an SMS from M-PESA confirming the transaction.
- This will be followed by a top-up SMS from Airtel’s CHAPCHAP confirming a successful airtime top-up.