Did you know that it’s possible to buy Telkom Kenya airtime using Safaricom’s M-PESA service? This is a lifesaver in situations where you don’t have T-kash or if you can’t find Telkom airtime in the shops.
You can buy airtime using one of two options:
- Using Lipa na M-PESA Pay Bills. Examples include Telkom’s very own 777711, PesaPal’s 220220 and iPay’s 510800.
- Using Tingg’s USSD, app or their online portal.
The major difference between these two options, is that using the Pay Bill option will usually incur you transactional charges from M-PESA while using Tingg carries no charges.
Let’s take a look at both methods.
1. Buy Airtime using M-PESA Pay Bill
- Go to the M-PESA menu on your phone.
- Select the Lipa na M-PESA option, then choose the first option Pay Bill.
- Select Enter business no. then enter 777711, then press OK when done.
- In the next menu select Account.no then enter your Telkom Kenya number.
- Under Enter Amount enter the amount of credit you want to purchase e.g. 50 and press OK when done.
- Enter your M-PESA Pin.
- Confirm the transaction by pressing the OK button.
- Make sure to confirm the transaction details. Should the details be wrong, enter any number or letter to cancel the transaction before the 25 seconds lapse.
- Now just wait for the M-PESA transaction SMS on your Safaricom line to confirm the transaction.
- Next, wait for a SMS on your Telkom line from e-jaze confirming a successful top-up.
- To confirm the top-up, dial *131# or *144# to check your airtime balance.
2. Buy Airtime using Tingg USSD
- Dial *369# using the Safaricom line with the M-PESA account you intend to pay with. (Note: you can also dial with your Telkom line, but this will charge you.)
- In the USSD menu, select the Buy Airtime option.
- Next, select the Enter a Number option.
- Select Telkom as the destination network.
- Enter the Telkom mobile number you want to buy airtime for.
- Enter the amount of airtime you want to purchase.
- Select M-PESA as the option to pay with.
- You will then get a prompt requesting you enter your M-PESA PIN to authorize the payment.
- Enter your pin and press OK.
- Wait a couple of seconds and you should receive an SMS from M-PESA confirming the transaction.
- This will be followed by a top-up SMS from Telkom’s e-jaze confirming a successful airtime top-up.