Have you ever wondered how is it some callers are able to hide their phone numbers so that it only shows Private Number? Well, it’s pretty simple.
You can hide your Safaricom number when calling in either two ways:
Make Number Private for a Specific Call
This will allow you to hide your number on a per-call basis instead of applying the setting to all your outgoing calls. To do this:
- Add the code #31# in front of the number you’re calling. So for instance if the recipient to your call has the number 0722123456, you would dial: #31#0722123456
- Then dial the number as usual. The call will go through and your number should be hidden.
Make Number Private for All Outgoing Calls
To activate Private Number for all the calls you make do the following:
- Open your Phone and dial *31# with your Safaricom line.
- You should then immediately get a prompt saying: Outgoing Caller ID Service was enabled.
All your calls will now by default hide your Number.
How to Disable Private Number
If you activated Private Number for all calls you can disable it by accessing the GSM Phone settings for the respective Phone OS you’re using. If you’re using an Android powered smartphone, do the following:
- Open the default Phone app.
- Tap the three dots in the top left corner and select Settings.
- Now go to:
Calling Accounts > Safaricom > GSM call settings > Additional settings.
- Open the Caller ID option then set it to either Network default or Show number.
So that’s it!