As you may or may have not noticed, the price of KPLC tokens is not equal for all customers. Some customers receive more tokens and other less for the same amount of money paid. So, why is this?
This is because KPLC prepaid customers are subjected to two different tariff rates according to their monthly consumption. They include:
1) Domestic Consumer 1 – Lifeline Customers (DC1-L)
2) Domestic Consumer 2 – Domestic Ordinary (DC2-O)
Lifeline Customers (DC1-L) Tariff
The Lifeline Customers (DC1-L) tariff applies to costumers whose consumption does not exceed 100 Units per month. The average cost per unit (kWh) in this tariff is KSh15 inclusive of taxes and levies.
This cost is however just an average. The actual cost varies in relation to the current rates of taxes and levies the price is subjected to. A good example of one such source of variance comes from the Fuel Energy Cost that fluctuates in relation to world fuel prices.
Consequently, at the time of this writing (May 2021) the cost of one unit in this tariff is at an all-time high of KSh16.74 (17). Therefore, Ksh1000 in this tariff will get you an average of between 58–66 units.
Domestic Ordinary (DC2-O) Tariff
The Domestic Ordinary (DC2-O) tariff applies to costumers whose monthly consumption is more than 100 Units but does not exceed 15,000 units. The average cost per unit (kWh) in this tariff is KSh23 inclusive of taxes and levies.
Likewise, the cost here varies in relation to the current rates of taxes and levies. At the time of this writing, the current price of one unit in this tariff is KSh24. Therefore, Ksh1000 in this tariff will get you an average of between 41–43 units.
KPLC Taxes and Levies
The taxes and levies that are surcharged onto the above prices of electricity include:
- Fuel Energy Charge
- EPRA Charge (formerly ERC)
- WARMA Charge
- REP Charge
- Inflation Adjustment
The cost breakdown of each of these items is usually included in the SMS containing the top-up token from KPLC. Some third-party token vendors however don’t provide this breakdown.
How to Check the Current Price of KPLC Tokens
The quickest way to check the current price per token prior for all available tariffs is by using KPLC’s myPower app. Here’s how to:
- Install the app from Google Playstore if you’re using an Android or the App Store if you’re using iOS.
- In the app’s start screen, select the Bill Simulation option. You don’t need to sign up to use this feature.
- Select the Tariff option and in the dropdown box select either the DC-L or DC-O tariff.
- In the Active Energy kWh enter 1 to check the price of one unit. Otherwise, enter the amount of units you need to check what it will cost.
- Tap on the Send button to get the results.
The total cost of the provided units will be populated including the Energy cost and the cost of Levies and Adjustments as shown above.